These are the most delicious soft pumpkin spice cookies. They are made with real pumpkin and will put you in the mood for fall! They are soft and full of flavor, with a light icing on the top. They only take 20 minutes to whip up!
Why Make This Recipe?
I think you will love this recipe for multiple reasons because...
You can customize it for dietary needs: These cookies can be made vegan, low sugar, and gluten-free
They are perfect for fall: They are a great festive fall treat and perfect for the holidays.
Ingredient Friendly: You most likely have all of these ingredients on hand right now!
Budget & Equipment Friendly: These cookies won't break the bank, the ingredients are affordable. You don't need much baking equipment for them. A few bowls and wooden spoon and cookie sheet will do the trick.
Baking Skill: Fool Proof! They are so easy to make for any baker with any skill level.
What You Will Need For This Reicpe
Ingredient Notes And Substitutions
- Flour - Use Gluten-Free flour if needed
- Pumpkin puree - Be sure you are using pumpkin puree made from 100% pumpkins. Do not use the pie filling!
- Eggs - If you are vegan, make a chia or flax egg : Chia Egg- 1 tbs of chia and 2.5 tbs water: mix together in a small bowl and let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes until it forms a gel. For a flax egg you will use the same measurements from above.
- Sugar: This recipe calls for two types of sugar, powdered for the frosting and regular white sugar or coconut sugar for the cookie. You can skip the frosting shoaled you want a cookie that is lower in sugar.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: In a bowl mix the wet ingredients together
Step 2: In another bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with a spoon.
Step 3: Form cookies into 1 inch balls on a parchment lined baking sheet or on the baking sheet directly. Set oven to 350. Bake for 11-12 minutes/
Step 4: Let cookies cool a bit. While cooling make the optional icing in a bowl. Add powdered sugar and almond milk to form icing. Once cookies are fully cooled and stay together, gently dunk them into the frosting.
FAQs And Expert Tips
I personally love using the chia egg with coconut sugar and regular all purpose flour for this recipe.
You do not need to use icing. They do not have much sugar baked into them so if you skip the icing they would make a great breakfast cookie. I have another breakfast cookie here you might like as well!
Yes! You can buy baking pumpkins and make your own puree for this recipe.
They will last for about 5 days if stored in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge!
Dessert Recipes You Will Love
- EASY GLUTEN FREE PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES
- CAPPUCCINO COOKIES WITH ESPRESSO AND WHITE CHOCOLATE
- ALMOND LEMON COOKIES
If you make these, be sure to post about it and tag me on Instagram @sailor_bailey and use #SailorBailey so I can see your creations! I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup coconut sugar white sugar works fine as well!
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg OR 1 chia egg 2 tbs chia+ 1 tbs water soak until formed into a gel
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp almond milk * you may need a little more depending on thickness desired
- Set oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix sugar and coconut oil well. Soak chia egg if making this vegan. Add vanilla extract, pumpkin and mix well.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt, oats. Once whisked together well, slowly add to the wet bowl.
- Form into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchement paper. Bake for 11 -12 minutes.
- add powdered sugar and almond milk together in a small bowl. Briskly whisk together well, add a tiny bit of almond milk if you need to thin the frosting out a bit more. When cookies are finished and cooled, dunk the tops in the frosting and sprinkle a dash of pumpkin spice over them. Enjoy!