These almond lemon cookies are chewy and soft on the inside with a burst of delicious lemon, almond flavors. They are easy to make and have less sugar than typical cookies.
Other Cookie recipes to try
I always keep a big bag of lemons in my refrigerator. They keep a great shelf life and they come in handy for so many recipes. Check out my Lemon Bars and my Lemon Blueberry Waffles for more lemon recipes.Jump to Recipe
Lemons have a high amount of vitamin C and soluble fiber so I even squeeze a little in my water and tea daily. As the spring temps roll in it's the perfect brightness to so many different recipes. These cookies can be made gluten free and vegan. Please read the notes in the recipe portion!
What you will need for these Almond Lemon Cookies
- Flour. All purpose flour. You can use gluten free all purpose as well, just be sure to follow the substitution instructions.
- Sugar. Coconut or white sugar works great. We only use 1/2 cup for the entire recipe.
- Lemons. Fresh lemons, one should be plenty.
- Almond pieces. For some texture and added almond flavor.
- Almond Extract. This is optional but it is delicious in this recipe.
- 2 eggs. You will use one whole egg and then one egg yolk for this recipe.
- Coconut oil. This recipe is dairy free and uses coconut oil. You may use butter if you'd like in place of coconut oil.
- Powdered sugar. For topping the cookies. You can either dip them in the sugar before baking to get a crinkled top or you can sprinkle them once they are out of the oven for a different look.
- I don't have almond extract or almonds, can I still make this? Yes! you will have delicious lemon cookies.
- I don't have lemons, can I still make this without lemons? Yes! You will have almond cookies without the twist of lemon to it.
- Can I use egg whites? No, unfortunately you need the egg and its yolk to make these cookies nice and chewy.
Almond Lemon Cookies
- cookie sheet
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or white sugar!)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tbs lemon juice + lemon zest
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (discard the white!)
- ½ tsp almond extract * optional
- ¼ cup raw sliced almonds
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for topping
- Mix the sugar, oil, egg and egg yolk, lemon juice and zest and almond extract. Mix in flour, salt, baking powder and all other ingredients including the almonds into the wet ingredients. Use a wooden spoon buy hand. Make sure all flour is coated well, use hand to form a dough ball.
- Place dough ball in the fridge for an hour or longer.
- Once dough is chilled scoop out tbs size balls (I used an ice cream scooper) dip into powdered sugar on a plate and place on a parchement paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 11 to 13 minute. 12 minutes was perfect for me! You also have the option to skip the powdered sugar dip before the baking process and sprinkle them after baking with sugar for a different look to the cookie.