These dairy free lemon bars are tart, rich and perfect for spring and summer. They are easy to make but taste like you slaved over them! Plus they are dairy free.
We have a lot of lemons lying around. We picked up a bulk bag at Sams a few weekends ago and I am so thankful to have them around the house. As we approach spring I am craving all the lemony tart treats. I also love to put a little squeeze into my water.
Lemons are good for you!
Lemons are great with detoxifying your body. They add lots of flavor to several foods and drinks. They are a great addition to water, pancakes, waffles and desserts. I also love lemons on fish - they bring out the flavors in a variety of things. Plus they smell amazing.
Lemon zest in particular is a key component in these bars. It will really bring out the flavors so make sure you get some zest before you squeeze out your juice anddiscardq the peels.
What you will need for this recipe
Lemons, fresh lemons are the key to this recipe. Yes you can use store bought lemon juice however they won't have as much flavor. Make sure you grab some lemon zest from these peels before you discard them!
Flour. You will need some flour for this recipe. Always make sure you whisk out the clumps when baking!
Sugar. This is a nice sweet treat to you will need sugar. You can use coconut sugar or white sugar.
Eggs. There are 4 eggs needed for this recipe. The eggs really set the lemon tart portion.
This recipe has two different baking instructions. We will be baking and setting the crust before adding in the lemon tart portion.
Tips for the best lemon bar outcome
The crust will work best with butter or vegan butter. If you use coconut oil the crust will be a little more crumbly however it will still taste amazing.
Make sure you don't overcook these bars! They will solidify and harden once you take them out of the oven so if they have a little movement to them at first just let them set!
You can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week or freeze them in a bag and thaw out before eating. If you enjoy this recipe make sure to try my Cranberry Oat Bars
Easy Dairy Free Lemon Bars
- 9x13 baking dish or something similar in size
- 1 cup coconut oil/or vegan butter (softened)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup white sugar (seperated from other sugar)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 lemons seeded and juiced at least 1/2 cup of juice or more
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- In a bowl blend the softened coconut or vegan butter with flour and the 1/3 cup coconut sugar. this will be the crust for the lemon bars. Grease your 9x13 pan and place mixture in it and press down firmly with finger tips to form the crust.
- Bake the crust on 350 for 16 to 18 minutes (or until its a golden color)
- In a bowl whisk remaining sugar, 1/4 cup of flour. Whisk together the lemons, zest and the eggs and slowly pour into dry mixture. Once crust is baked pour this mixture over the crust.
- Place back into the oven and bake for another 15 - 18 minutes. They will firm more once they cool so try not to over cook them!