Soft, chewy Carrot Cake Cookies that will wow your family right out of the oven. These cookies are perfectly sweet and easy to eat. Ready in 20 minutes. Easily make them gluten free and vegan!
I have been on a carrot cake kick. It is one of my favorite desserts, carrot cake anything with some icing or frosting, that and funfetti or vanilla cake. You hardly taste the cup of carrots added into these cookies so your kiddos won't even realize they are eating vegetables.
Why Make These Carrot Cake Cookies.
These cookies are healthier than your average cookie. They aren't overly sweet! They have a mellow frosting as well.
They can be allergy friendly. Make them vegan with flax eggs or gluten free with almond flour (you make need a little extra af for this)
They are bite sized and fun to eat!
They are perfect anytime of year and are full of yummy, fresh carrot.
What you will need to make Carrot cake Cookies.
Carrots. Any type of carrot will work. I used pre shredded carrots and put them in the food processor to grate them into bits.
Flour. You will need 1 cup of flour for these cookies. Gluten free flour works great!
Coconut oil. Coconut oil to replace the butter and make them dairy free. If you prefer butter and have butter unhand, by all means please feel free to use that!
Sugar. I used coconut sugar and white sugar for this recipe. I had both and wanted them to look a certain way. The coconut sugar is a bit healthier and will make your cookies come out a little darker than if you use white sugar.
Walnuts. This is optional, if you don't have walnuts or if you have an allergy please leave these out
Oats or museli. I used museli because I wanted to add some dried fruit into these cookies and didn't have raisins. The muesli I used can be found here. It has dried blueberries which replaced raisins perfectly! If you do not have muesli, use regular old fashioned oats.
Cinnamon and nutmeg, to bring out the carrots, baking soda, vanilla and an egg for rising and binding the cookies
Steps To Make These Carrot Cake Cookies.
Step 1. Add the ingredients in separate bowls. One bowl with egg, oil and sugars. The other bowl with the cinnamon, nutmeg, oats, flour, walnuts raisins.
Step 2. Pulse the carrots so they blend in well. Add them to the sugar egg mixture.
Step 3 and Step 4. Mix both together add in all the other ingredients.
Tips And Tricks For This Recipe.
Yes, AP gluten free flour or almond flour will work but you will need to add another 1/2 cup of flour to the mix.
Yes, use a chia or flax egg.
No problem, use all white sugar. They just won't be as chewy.
If you are carrot cake obsessed like me, you should check out my Carrot Cake Muffins
Carrot Cake Cookie Recipe
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- Optional cookie scoop for equal size cookies
For the cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg room temp
- 1 cup grated carrots use a food processor
- ¼ cup crushed walnuts
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup museli or oats
- ¼ cup raisins (optional!)
For the icing (optional if you want them on the sweeter side!)
- 2 tbs milk or water - I used almond milk *see instructions before mixing!
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
For the cookies
- Mix dry ingredients with a whisk in a medium bowl
- Mix oil, sugar, egg, vanilla together. Grate carrots in a food processor, add carrots and walnuts to the liquid bowl. Slowly stir in dry ingredients. Make sure everything is stirred in
- Use an ice cream scoop or tbs measuring cup to scoop dough out. Place on parchement paper covered cooke sheet about 2 inches apart as they will spread a little. Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes. Keep a close eye on them. You will need to bake two batches.
For the icing
- Add powdered sugar to a small bowl and add 1 tbs of milk/water at a time. whisk together. additonal liquid might be needed but start with 1 tbs at a time. once you have the consistency you prefer, scoop into a plastic bag. snip a small corner off the bag and drizzle over the cookies.