Healthy Delicious Kale Slaw
Feb 28, 2022, Updated Jun 04, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links.
Crunchy, tangy kale slaw full of color and texture. This salad is bursting with creamy dijon, maple syrup and a few other ingredients. The hero side to any dish!
This is one of our favorite salad/slaws. It pairs wonderfully with any type of chicken, burgers, fish and tofu. It is light on the mayo so no guilt eating this one. The flavor combination works so well together, you get a bit of everything in one bite.
Table of contents
Why You Need To Make This Kale Slaw
Well, for starters this kale slaw is hearty. The kale is massaged so it’s not bitter and rough, but it does hold up well and carries a lot of the addictive dressing. The mix-ins for this salad are optional. There are a few customizable mix ins you can add it. I like to do pumpkin seeds, avocado and even dried fruit at times.
Kale. A main vehicle to the salad.
Shredded Carrots. Pre shredded to save time.
Red Cabbage. Green will also work.
Maple Syrup. Honey will also work.
White Vinegar. You may also use apple cider vinegar.
Seasoning. Salt, pepper, dried thyme, cumin.
Mayo. You may also use vegan mayo or plain greek yogurt.
Steps To Make
Step one. Add all the dressing ingredients together in a medium to small bowl. Use an emulsion blender for a thick perfectly blended dressing. If you don’t have an emulsion blender use a high speed blender instead. Keep to the side while you assemble the kale salad.
Step two. Stem and chop kale. Slice red cabbage. In a large bowl assemble all the salad ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad ingredients and mix together well.
Note: If you don’t like the rough texture of the kale, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over kale and lightly squeeze and massage with hands to soften, then mix with the other ingredients.
This salad pairs well with so many main dishes. You can also eat it on it’s own for a light lunch.
Expert Tips & FAQ’s
This Kale Slaw will last up to 4 days in the fridge in an air tight container! Making it a great side to meal prep.
Yes that will work great.
Yes, it will work great.
The sky is the limit here. I wanted to keep this recipe simple, but I recommend adding pepita seeds, cranberries, you can also add avocado slices, cucumbers and more!
Make sure you read my notes on massaging the kale. It makes it much softer and easier to eat if you find it to be too rough.
Other recipes you might like
Delicious Healthy Kale Slaw
- 1 cup shredded carrots, * pre shredded is best
- 8 oz chopped kale, *stems off
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 2 tbsp mayo , *
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- 1 sliced avocado
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp dried fruit
- Add all the dressing ingredients together in a medium to small bowl. Use an emulsion blender for a thick perfectly blended dressing. If you don't have an emulsion blender use a high speed blender instead. Keep to the side while you assemble the kale salad. Feel free to add 1 tbsp of water to the dressing if you'd prefer it to be thinner. Dressing will be thick and you will need to toss the salad a bit to evenly spread it.
- Stem and chop kale. Slice and chop red cabbage. In a large bowl assemble all the salad ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad ingredients and mix together well. Note: If you don't like the rough texture of the kale, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over kale and lightly squeeze and massage with hands to soften, them mix with the other ingredients
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.