This watermelon feta salad is a family favorite for summertime. It is sweet, tangy, savory and refreshing. It takes little to no effort to throw together and it pairs perfectly with summer barbecue foods !
You will only need a few ingredients for this salad
- Fresh Herbs (Basil & Mint)
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Or Lime Juice
- Feta (or goat cheese!)
We love to buy watermelon in the summer and I can easily burn through half of it in one sitting! I love to whip this salad up as often as possible, it’s a bit more filling and nutritious than just the melon by itself. This salad is a perfect side at a barbecue. We recently did teriyaki chicken kabobs with this salad as a side and the whole family was raving about it.
Tips for picking the perfect watermelon
I always look for one that is heavy (big or small it shouldn’t fell light or hallow!)
I always look for a big yellow spot on the melon. This is where is was resting on the ground. If it’s a cream/yellowish color it often times means it’s ripe.
It’s also fine if they have a little dirt on them, that just means they were well taken care of and rested in the ground for a bit. These tips usually are foolproof for me and I end up with a great tasting watermelon.
This salad is also easy enough to have the kids help in the kitchen with putting it together. There is no baking required and once you have all the chopping done it just takes someone with good mixing skills to go the rest 🙂
I chose to use an english cucumber because the skin on it is more appetizing and it looks the prettiest in the salad. English cucumbers can cost a little more so you can also use a regular cucumber if you’d prefer that instead.
5 Minute Watermelon Feta Salad
- 4-5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- ¾ cup chopped feta or goat cheese
- 1½ cup chopped cucumbers
- 1½ tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1½ tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- fresh cracked pepper optional
- In a large serving bowl add the watermelon and cucumber together. Whisk the lemon/lime juice together with the oil and drizzle it over the salad.Mix together. Add in the fresh herbs and feta. Gently mix it together to keep the feta from crumbling too much. sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper before serving!