Homemade cinnamon granola is easy to make, makes the house smell delicious and won't break the bank. This granola recipe is perfect for kids to help with!
Why make your own granola?
Store bought granola can be packed with sugars. It can have a lot of added oils and unnecessary ingredients. The brands that do have great nutrition labels are often times a bit expensive. Making granola at home is very inexpensive and you can control what goes into it, making it the healthiest option out there.
You can customize this recipe and it is completely vegan if you choose to use the maple syrup over the honey. This recipe makes about 5 cups of granola and only takes 20 minutes. If you don't have all the ingredients, no problem.
What you will need
Oats. This is the most important ingredient. I choose old fashioned oats because they are bulky and hold up great in the baking process.
Sweetener. I used maple syrup but have all used honey. Both are great sweeteners for this recipe. You can add more or use less if you'd like this recipe is very easy to customize. The more honey used, the more likely you will get some chunky clusters.
Spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg are a great spice for this recipe. They add a lot of flavor and elevate the granola. If you have other fun spices that are dessert geared, those would be delicious as well.
Dried fruit. This is an optional ingredient, but I highly recommend it! I used dried blueberries and cranberries. They add texture to the granola. You won't add these until later in the baking process.
Maple Cinnamon Granola
- Cooking Sheet
- mixing bowl
- 1/2 Cup coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 Cup honey or maple syrup
- 6 Drops of stevia or monk fruit OPTIONAL
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup raw cashews
- 1/2 Cup shelled pistachios OPTIONAL
- 1/2 Cup dried cranberries, or any chopped dried fruit
- Heat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Whisk together the oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia, and salt. Place the oil, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the oats and cashews/nuts and stir to coat.
- Spread the oats out onto the prepared baking sheet. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. If the granola is clumpy, use a spatula to press it into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir halfway through. Option to drizzle honey over mixture to create bigger, chunkier granola. Bake, stirring halfway through, for about 20 minutes total. The granola is ready when golden-brown and the nuts have lightly toasted Please note: it will still feel wet coming out of the oven but will dry as it cools.
- Add in the dried fruit and enjoy. Store in an airtight container - ziplock bag at room temp.