In this blog post I show you how to make creamy garlic parmesan pasta, It is full of flavor and takes less than 20 minutes to whip up for dinner.
This blog post is sponsored by Horizon® Organic Milk however, all opinions are my own.Jump to Recipe
Nothing is more comforting than a big creamy bowl of pasta. I crave pasta like I crave pizza, often and I can eat a lot of it. Pasta is good all year round, however it is exceptionally good during the colder seasons. Red sauce is always a go-to but nothing will compare to a thick cheesy white sauce over fresh pasta. I love a good white sauce recipe and this creamy parmesan garlic sauce has minimal ingredients, it is thick and full of flavors.
Let’s talk pasta
There is a plethora of pasta out there, brands and shapes. I typically go for brands that are on sale but I often check the ingredient list first. Some brands have way too many ingredients added into the pasta so I skip those. As for shapes, I prefer penne and rotini. Both are round with grooves and they tend to hold a lot of sauce. With this recipe you want pasta that will hold it’s weight in the heavy thick sauce so I recommend either of these! If you opt for something like elbow, bowtie or smaller I suggest you add a little more milk to the recipe to thin out the sauce.
Best pasta cooking practices
Pasta is pretty easy to cook – you just bring water to a boil and pour it in right? Wrong. I always suggest starting with cold water and bring that to a boil. This will ensure you have enough water to cover your pasta before it heats up. I also suggest adding a sprinkle of salt to the water. This is your only time to really flavor the pasta on it’s own so that little bit of salt will help wakeup the flavors a bit.
Next, when it’s done cooking I suggest you strain the water and put into a bowl with a tiny drizzle of oil. Toss the pasta with the oil to cover all of it. This will keep your pasta from ripping and sticking to itself.
What you will need for this recipe:
- Parmesan cheese, I go for a good brand that’s pre shredded so it melt easier
- High quality milk & butter. I go for Horizon® Whole milk and butter. It is creamy, organic and has no hormones
- Minced garlic. I suggest roasting it first in the oven if you have time, however raw works just as well.
- Parsley. Dried works but I prefer fresh for this recipe
- Chicken broth or water. Chicken broth will give your creamy garlic sauce a lot more flavor.
- Lemon juice. A little squeeze goes a long way.
I like my pasta sauce thick, I like to control how much I am loading up on each noodle. If you prefer a thinner sauce similar to buttered pasta, you will need to add a little more broth or water to your sauce before serving.
Be sure to keep some extra chopped parsley to the side for garnish, the fresh green color really makes this dish pop. I also suggest a few slices of avocados to the top. Something about the avocado pairs so well with the garlic parmesan cream sauce.
If you are looking for sides to serve with this pasta, I suggest roasted or steamed broccoli. You can also top this pasta with a protein like salmon, chicken or tofu.
Creamy Vegetarian Pasta W/ Garlic
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 3 tbs butter
- 1.5 cup Horizon Organic Milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 3 tbs flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ sliced avocado for garnish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package. In a saucepan melt the butter and garlic for about 2 minutes to brown the garlic. add the flour to the mix slowly, whisk briskly to keep clumps from forming.
- Stirring the mixture consistently with a good whisk, slowly add the liquid ingredients (except lemon juice! Keep to the side until sauce is finished). allow them to simmer while stirring until it thickens a little
- Add in the cheese, whisk briskly until the cheese melts completely. add the lemon juice and parsley. Turn off stove and serve over pasta. Garnish with parsley, avocado and parmesan.