This sweet potato and bean stew is like a hug in a bowl. It has unique flavors, is filling and full of fresh ingredients. You can make it in a crockpot or on the stovetop and it will warm you right up all winer long. Sweet potato stew is perfect for meal prepping since it makes quite a bit for you and the family.
Why Make This Sweet Potato and Bean Stew
It's easy to make in the crockpot or stovetop. You can throw all the ingredients in and leave it all day in your slow cooker.
This stew can be made vegan. If you are vegetarian or vegan, simply skip the chicken and use veggie broth. The stew is fantastic either way!
This recipe is full of nutritious ingredients. The fresh sweet potatoes and peppers are a great nutrient boost during the winter season.
Sweet Potato stew has peanut butter in it! Need I say more?!
Sweet Potatoes. They are filling and full of nutrients. They give this stew a beautiful color as well. I recommend peeling the potato before cubing.
Chicken. This is optional. This recipe is fantastic vegan, however, I prefer the chicken for some extra protein but it's optional.
Chicken or Veggie Broth. Any good stew will have this as a base, and adding broth gives it a bold flavor.
Beans. You can use any bean you would like in this recipe. I chose white bans, however, black or pinto would be just as good!
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Chop all of your ingredients up into bite sized even pieces - including the chicken. Everything should be close to equal in size so it cooks evenly
Step 2: Place everything except the peanut butter into a pot or the crockpot. Layer the pot in this order (chicken, potatoes, peppers, garlic, seasoning, canned beans (drained a rinsed)
Step 3: Cooking Time for crockpot: 4 hours on high or 6 on low. Otherwise for a big pot on the stovetop you will cook for an hour on medium- low. Add the peanut butter last after everything has fully cooked. Serve and enjoy.
FAQ & Expert Tips
To speed up the cook time microwave the sweet potato on the potato setting to soften it up.
Use fresh cilantro as a garish to brighten up the stew. Feel free to use parsley instead.
Yes, it is great vegan. Swap out the chicken broth for veggie broth ad skip the chicken breast.
Yes! I have included instructions for the stovetop.
I suggest almond or cashew butter as a substitute.
Skip the jalapeños! The veggies, chicken and seasonings will provide plenty of flavor.
You can either put them in one big glass container with a lid and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or you can pour it into a thick ziplock and freeze (just be sure to lay it flat to freeze.
Other Recipes To Try
Sweet Potato Stew
- 2 cups chopped pepper or about 3 peppers (any color)
- 4 cups Beans Rinsed and drained (about 2 - 14 oz cans)
- 2½ cups Peeled Sweet Potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cup Chicken or veggie broth about 1 14 oz can
- 1 cup water
- 1¾ cup canned tomatoes 14 oz can
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeño
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup Peanut Butter *
- fresh cilantro for garnish Optional
- Chop all the veggies up. Add all ingredients except peanut butter to a 6 qt crockpot, chicken on the bottom, veggies next, followed by seasonings and beans pour water/broth in last over everything. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours in the crockpot. **Add Peanut butter after cooking in and stir right before serving.
- For the stovetop cooking: add everything except penut butter in this order: chicken on the bottom, veggies next, followed by seasonings and beans pour water/both in last over everything. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 1 hour. Add Peanut butter in after stew is cooked and stir right before serving.