This Vegan Kale Salad Recipe With Lemon Honey Dressing is requested at least once a week in my house. It is full of real ingredients, filling and can be whipped up in under 15 minutes. The quinoa and cucumber add some great texture and crunch to it. The dressing is nutty, bright and addictive.
Why Make This Vegan Kale Salad With Lemon Honey Dressing
It's quick. This recipe is so easy to whip up and it tastes gourmet and takes 15 minutes.
It's yummy! Your friends in family will be impressed by the flavors and nutrients in this salad
This kale Salad is allergy friendly.
This kale salad recipe is diet friendly. It's full of healthy fats, filling and completely vegetarian.
Quinoa. Adds some protein, texture, and it pairs with kale perfectly.
Kale. When massaged, its the perfect vehicle for the Lemon Honey dressing.
Lemon juice. I opt for fresh squeezed as it has the freshest, best flavor.
Honey. High quality and subtle sweet in flavor is best. If you are making this vegan, I suggest you use maple syrup. It is just as delicious.
Olive Oil. High quality EVOO is best, be sure there is no bitter flavor.
Tahini: This is one of the most important ingredients for this salad. It has a mild nutty flavor and it gives the salad a perfect flavorful creamy texture without dairy! I recommend using Soom Tahini. You can fins tahini in the peanut butter aisle at the grocery store.
Optional: 1/2 cup canned chickpeas
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Wash and stem Kale. Chop it up into bite sized pieces. Add it to a large bowl. Pour 1 tbs of olive oil and 1 tsp lemon juice over kale.
Step 2: massage it with finger tips to soften the leaves and make the kale salad taste less bitter.
Step 3: Mix all the dressing ingredients into a bowl. tahini, honey, garlic, lemon juice. Begin to mix with a whisk or spoon and slowly add the warm water to the mix 2 tbs at a time.
Step 4: Lemon Honey dressing will look clumpy and thick when you add the water. Slowly add more tbsp at a time. The oil and water will eventually mix and become more cohesive. The dressing will thin and be smooth. Feel free to add another tbsp or more if you prefer your dressing thinner.
Step 5: The lemon honey dressing should look like this, smooth and perfect.
Step 6: Add the quinoa, cucumber, tomatoes and kale to one big bowl.
Step 7: Pour the lemon honey dressing over the ingredients in the large bowl
Step 8: Toss the salad with a nice set of tongs or salad tossing forks.
FAQs & Expert Tips:
Yes, spinach or mixed greens would be a great alternative. Just be sure to thin the dressing a bit more so it spreads nicely.
Yes, you can use sunflower butter for the dressing however I highly recommend tahini.
You can easily customize your toppings for this salad. I prefer cucumber, avocado and tomatoes for my mix-ins. This salad is fantastic as a side dish or topped with chicken or salmon for a full meal. I have added some croutons, black beans and chickpeas as well and it's equally as delicious.
If you want to make your salads more flavorful and satisfying - add herbs! You can literally add any herb to a salad to freshen it up and take the flavor up a notch. I usually go for cilantro, basil or thyme to spruce up my leafy greens. This recipe doesn't call for any but I still highly recommend adding any fresh herbs if you have any lying around. You can thank me later 😉
- Berry Salad With Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Asian Cabbage Salad
- BURRATA SPINACH SALAD WITH HONEY DIJON DRESSING
Kale Salad Recipe With Lemon Honey Dressing
- 8 cups kale massaged*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups spinach optional
- 1 cup cucumber
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa cook according to package
- 1 sliced avocado
- ½ cup canned or cooked chickpeas optional!
Lemon Honey Dressing
- ¼ cup tahini well stirred
- ¼ cup warm water on the side to thin the tahini *read instructions
- 1 tsp honey
- ⅛ tsp salt add more salt to taste if needed
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- 1⅓ tbsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl add kale and oil. Massage kale with hands lightly to soften the leaves. Add in quinoa, cucumbers, tomatoes and spinach and chickpeas if using. Mix together well.
- Add tahini to a bowl, slowly add in warm water and mix with a whisk or fork. Keep mixing in water in small amounts until tahini "accepts" the water. You can also use a high speed blender or emersion blender. It takes a little patience and trust, but it will eventually thin to a dressing consistency.
- Once you have the consistency you prefer, add in all the other ingredients and whisk together well. If dressing is too thin, add 1 tbsp of tahini and mix well. If too thick, add 1/2 tbsp of water at a time. Tahini can vary in consistency. Pour over salad and toss well before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe will keep for about 2 days in the fridge.