This creamy hummus recipe is full of mediterranean flavors, ready in under 15 minutes and insanely easy to put together. You will never buy store bought hummus again.
Why You Need To Make Creamy Hummus
This hummus comes out smooth, and creamy because the chickpeas are cooked well and the skins are softened. This recipe will have you craving Mediterranean food. It's the perfect healthy homemade dip, snack or spread. You will never buy hummus again after making this insanely easy, delicious recipe yourself. You can also add in flavors to change it up, lemon zest, cooked butternut quash, pumpkin, roasted red peppers, the sky is the limit with flavor add ins.
Canned Chickpeas. Usually always already cooked, drain the liquid and rinse them.
Baking Powder Or Baking Soda. This boils with chickpeas in the water, it softens the husks around them. Either one will work
Tahini. Well stirred high quality. The main flavor and component in hummus. It's a paste made from sesame seeds found in the peanut butter aisle at most stores.
Lemon Juice. Fresh is best for this recipe.
Olive Oil. Neutral in flavor and high quality.
Seasonings. Salt, cumin, paprika.
Garlic. Fresh garlic is best. Roast a whole clove of garlic if you want garlic flavored hummus.
Fresh Parsley. For garnish. You can also use sesame seeds, pine nuts or cilantro for garnish.
Steps To Make This Creamy Hummus Recipe
Step One. Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to sauce pan. Sprinkle baking soda over them and mix. Add just enough water to cover the chickpeas, about 3-4 cups. Turn stovetop on medium/high heat. Let the chickpeas boil for about 15 - 20 minutes on high or until the chickpeas look puffy and overcooked.
Step Two. While the chickpeas are boiling, in a high speed blender or food processor, combine the tahini, lemon, garlic, roasted garlic (if using) salt, cumin, paprika (and any other mix-ins of choice for flavor). While the blender or food processor is running, add 1 tbsp cold water. Stop blender and scrap sides down if needed.
Step Three. Drain chickpeas and add to food processor or blender. Start blending and while it's blending, add in the olive oil. Continue to keep blending on high for about 2-5 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may want to add a few more tbsp of cool water to thin the mixture if needed. Add salt and more lemon juice to taste if needed. Once you reach desired flavor, you can scoop mixture out into a serving bowl.
Step Four. Add fresh garnish and a light drizzle of oil, a sprinkle of paprika and enjoy!
FAQ's & Tips
Totally dairy free and vegan!
You can add cilantro, harissa to make it spicy, extra lemon and lemon zest, a whole clove of roasted garlic (my favorite) sriracha, roasted red peppers and more!
If you want to best, creamy texture than yes, overcooking the chickpeas is best. If you don't do this step it will taste great but will have a more chunky consistency.
Up to five days in an airtight container.
Other Recipes To Try
- Pan Fried Feta With Hot Honey
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce With Gnocchi
- Healthy Vegan Kale Caesar
If you loved this recipe let me know! Also, follow me on Instagram & Pinterest for even more fun recipes to make you feel good from the inside out. Thanks for being here!
Creamy Hummus Recipe
- high speed blender or food processor
- 1 15 oz canned chickpeas *see notes
- ½ tsp baking powder or baking soda
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice more to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small bulb of roasted garlic *optional if you want roasted garlic hummus!
- ½ tsp course sea salt
- ¾ cup tahini *see notes
- 2-4 tbsp cold water
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil *more for garnish or as needed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley *optional for garnish
- 1 tsp sesame seeds *optional for garnish
- Add water to sauce pan, drain and rinse chickpeas and add to sauce pan. Turn stovetop on medium/high heat. Mix in baking powder. Let the chickpeas boil for about 15 minutes on high.
- While the chickpeas are boiling, in a high speed blender or food processor, combine the tahini, lemon, garlic, roasted garlic (if using) salt, cumin, paprika (and any other mix-ins of choice for flavor). While the blender or food processor is running, add 1 tbsp cold water. Stop blender and scrap sides down if needed.
- Drain chickpeas and add to food processor or blender. Start blending and while it's blending, add in the olive oil. Continue to keep blending on high for about 2-5 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may want to add a few more tbsp of cool water to thin the mixture if needed. Add salt and more lemon juice to taste if needed. Once you reach desired flavor, you can scoop mixture out into a serving bowl.
- Add fresh garnish and a light drizzle of oil, a dash of paprika and enjoy!
If you like garlicky hummus you need to make this. It is creamy, delicious and it taste clean and fresh. Compare to store bought hummus this stuff is actually healthy with no preservatives, no seed oils and or chemicals. 5 Stars for sure!!
I know how much you love your hummus so i am very flattered to read this review!
When do you add the tahini? With the wet ingredients?
Hi Debbie! Great question I will be sure to correct that. but yes, you will want to add it with the lemon juice and everything else. please let me know what you think of the recipe have to make it. I’m eating my own batch now for lunch.
I used a little less garlic because I am single and ready to mingle but damn this is good stuff.
LOL thanks for letting me know< i am so happy to hear you enjoyed it.
So much yum in this recipe. My kids love it too!
So glad to hear!
Love how much healthier this is than store bought hummus. Guilt free and delicious!!
Hi Bailey. Did I miss the measurement of Tahini? I don’t see it posted.
Hi Cindy! I am seeing it on my end in the recipe card, how odd. It is 3/4 cup just incase you still aren't seeing it, I will look into any issues on the post 🙂 I hope you enjoy.