This salad is packed with flavor, beautiful and everything is easily made from scratch. Perfect for summer lunches or dinner. It comes together quick and offers sweet, savory satisfying flavors.
I am such a sucker for a loaded berry salad. Especially in the summer months. I never want to turn on the oven, and grilling can be a bit much in the heat. I turn to trusty salads that are full of antioxidants and nutrients that are good for my skin. Berries have many benefits but they are important to load up on in the summer months when skin can get quite a beating from the sun and heat!
Ingredients To Make This Raspberry Vinaigrette Salad With Berries
Greens. Spinach and Kale. The mix holds up great in this recipe
Berries. Raspberries and blueberries
Strawberries. For more color and texture
Avocado. Adds a great creaminess
Feta or Goat Cheese. Optional, but delicious on this salad
Apple Cider Vinegar. For the dressing
Dijon Mustard. For the dressing. Spicy brown mustard will also work.
Olive Oil. For the dressing
Garlic. For the dressing
Shallots or White Onion. For the dressing
Sugar. White granulated for the candied walnuts
Butter. For the candied walnuts
How To Make This Salad With Berries
Don't buy the processed candied nuts at the store! Instead make your own with 3 simple ingredients and within minutes (no baking or oven required!) You can easily make them on the stovetop with a little butter (about a 1/2 of a tbsp) and 1/2 of a tbsp of sugar. Let it melt a bit and then toss in a 1/2 cup of walnuts. Toss the mixture a few times to get it evenly coated and then remove from the heat before the sugar starts to burn. I usually leave mine on some parchment paper to cool and harden.
Step one. Melt butter and sugar in a hot pan and quickly toss walnuts in pan until evenly coated with mixture. Be careful not to burn the sugar! Set aside on parchment paper or cooling rack to cool and harden.
Step two. Add all of the dressing ingredients into a high speed blender and mix together. set aside while you assemble the salad.
Step three. Toss spinach and kale together with dressing. Add in feta, lightly mix. Top with berries and avocado. Add walnuts on top and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks For This Berry Salad
Always make sure you massage your kale a little with a touch of olive oil when having in a salad. It cuts down the bitter taste and makes it much more enjoyable. Of course if you love raw kale it's not necessary but I rarely meet someone who loves it raw 🙂
Yes, chopped almonds would also work great.
Yes, skip the cheese or use a vegan feta.
If you dress it, it will only keep for about one day. In the fridge
Other Salads To Try
Kale Salad With Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
Brussel Sprout Salad With Cranberries
Berry Salad With Raspberry Vinaigrette
For the salad
- 8 cups kale *massaged with hands in 1 tbsp of oil
- ½ tbsp olive oil avocado oil will also work
- 3 cups spinach
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup raspberries for topping (more needed for dressing)
- 5 sliced strawberries topping
- 1 sliced avocado
- 4 tbsp feta or goat cheese
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tbsp chopped shallots or white onion extra for topping on salad optional
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ tbsp butter vegan butter will also work
- ½ tbsp white granulated sugar
- Make your walnuts and dressing first. Blend all dressing ingredients together.
For the candied walnuts
- Melt butter and sugar in a pan on medium/ high heat. Toss walnuts in pan while it's all melting together. Toss until evenly coated with mixture. Be careful not to burn the sugar! This should take about 3 minutes. Set aside on parchment paper or cooling rack to cool and harden.
For the dressings
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until creamy. If you need it to be thinner, add a tsp of water to thin.
For the salad
- Lightly massage the kale in a large bowl with the olive oil. This softens the kale and makes it easier to digest. Next, toss spinach and kale together with dressing. Add in feta, lightly mix. Top with berries and avocado, dressing. Add walnuts on top and enjoy!
Leave a Reply