Kick your summer meals up a notch and fire up the grill. The grill isn't just for meat. You can make some top notch plant based dishes. These vegan tofu kabobs are a great plant based version of the cult classic: chicken kabobs.Jump to Recipe
I will be the first to admit, no one makes kabobs as good as my mom does, but these are a close second. I had some tofu lying around in my fridge and I thought to myself " I want to try something new with it and throw it on the grill". Have you grilled much with tofu? It cooks so quick and if you marinate it for awhile it turns out fantastic.
Other tofu recipes to try:
The key to getting the best tofu
I alway shop for two things when I am cooking with tofu:
1. That it is organic
I typically get the 'high protein extra firm' tofu from Trader Joe's but you can find organic, firm tofu at any grocery store. Tofu is so reasonably priced, it also has a long shelf life so we keep a package or two in the fridge on a regular basis.
Want to make your tofu more flavorful?
Tofu has little to no flavor at all. You will want to press the tofu with a towel to get all the added moisture out of it. I always recommend salting it lightly and marinating it in some sort of sauce for at least a few hours before cooking with it.
Vegan Tofu Kabobs
- 1 lb organic firm tofu (one package)
- ⅔ cup teriyaki sauce of choice
- 2 bell peppers any color
- ¼ of a red onion
- 1 cup whole mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked rice optional for side
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro optional for garnish
- Press tofu lightly with a dry clean kitchen towel. You may need to rearrange dry parts of the towel around the edges of the tofu to soak up liquid. Cut into 1x1 inch cubes. Place cubed tofu on a plate or flat bowl with lips on the side. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over the tofu, cover and place in the fridge. Marinate for at least 20 minutes (overnight if you have time!)
- Cut bell pepers and onion into 1x1 inch cubes similar to the photo in the recipe. Set aside.
- When tofu is done marinating, start the kabob with a bell pepper followed by an onion then a tofu square and mushroom. Make a similar pattern along the kabob and place to the side. Continue to make as many as you'd like.
- Fire of the grill on high. Once grill is hot enough to clean with a brush, place tofu over flame and turn heat fown to medium/low. Close the lid and cook for about 5 miuntes. Use a baster or brush to coat the tofu a few times with sauce. Carefully turn kabobs and cook the other side for another 5 minutes be sure to continue to coat the tofu 1-2 times with the sauce.
- Serve with rice and use leftover sauce for dipping if youd like!