Make this mushroom stroganoff for the family this week and skip the meat! This recipe is plant-based and better than your average stroganoff. It is filled with tangy mushrooms in every bite and pairs well with noodles.
This blog post is sponsored by Silk Oat Yeah however all opinions are my own.
Why Make This Mushroom Stroganoff?
This recipe is fool proof! You can’t really mess it up and it whips up quickly to serve the whole family during the week.
This recipe is meat-free! You can add in a plant-based meal during the week and you won’t feel hungry after this one. It has mushrooms in every bite.
This mushroom stroganoff has been a family favorite in my house, and I add few surprise ingredients to give it an extra special flavor. It is bursting with mushrooms and a flavorful sauce to coat the noodles of your choice.
Ingredients for this Mushroom Stroganoff.
Silk® Oat Yeah®. You will want to be sure to use a plain flavor, otherwise it will throw the balance off. I prefer Silk Oat Yeah because the Oat Milk heats up nicely and adds a smooth texture to the mushroom stroganoff.
Worcestershire. If you are making this completely vegan, be sure to choose a vegan Worcestershire as typical sauces may contain fish. You can also use soy sauce.
Mushrooms are an inaugural ingredient for this dish. You may use button mushrooms; however, I prefer cremini or portobello mushrooms.
Noodles. If making this vegan, use ribbon noodles or egg free noodles.
How To Make This Mushroom Stroganoff.
Step 1-2: melt the butter and whisk in garlic and onions. If you want a thicker sauce, add a tbsp of all-purpose flour and sauté garlic and onions until translucent. Otherwise just use butter.
Step 3: Add in mushrooms, sauté for a few minutes and then pour the broth over the veggies. Bring to a simmer and add in tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme.
Step 4: Simmer on low until mushrooms are cooked and tender. Boil the egg noodles and serve mushroom stroganoff over the egg noodles. Add parsley right before serving.
Make sure you keep a close eye on it to prevent the sauce from burning.
If you prefer a thicker sauce, add in 1 tbsp of flour in with the butter and make a light roux.
Yes, I would suggest ground beef or ground turkey for this dish.
Steamed broccoli, brown rice or quinoa would be great alternatives.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Other Recipes You Might Like.
If you loved this recipe let me know! Also, follow me on Instagram & Pinterest for even more fun recipes to make you feel good from the inside out. Thanks for being here!
- 2 tbsp vegan butter substitute
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic cloves
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms about 12 oz
- 2-2½ cups veggie broth *more if needed to thin out
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp worcestershire * Soy sauce to make vegan!
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 6 cups pasta *
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp Silk Oak Yeah Craveable Creamy (plain)
- Step 1. Melt the butter and whisk in garlic and onions. If you want a thicker sauce, add a tbsp of all-purpose flour and sauté garlic and onions until translucent. Otherwise just use vegan butter substitute.
- Step 3: Add in mushrooms, sauté for a few minutes and then pour half of the broth over the veggies (2 cups). Bring to a simmer and add in tomato paste, Worcestershire or soy sauce, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Step 4: Simmer on low until mushrooms are cooked and tender add some parsley to the sauce, add the rest of the broth until desired consistent. Next add in sour cream and milk. Stir everything in well and turn off heat. Keep some parsley for garnish as well. Boil the noodles and serve mushroom stroganoff over the noodles. Add the rest of the parsley right before serving.
This was really delicious. I never thought to use an oat milk in a mushroom stroganoff. I was a bit worried it would be sweet but it turned out great. Will make again.
Ooh I think I’ll try this in the instant pot, using the cooking directions from a turkey stroganoff recipe I use. Thanks!
Hi Jill, I think the instant pot would be a great way to cook this one up. I hope you enjoy it!