These cupcakes have a touch of citrus and fruit but they are sweet and perfect for dessert. If you love lemon and blueberry flavors together, you will love these cupcakes!
Why Make These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes.
They are beautiful and full of flavor.
They are a change from your average cupcake and 100% dairy free!
They cupcakes are easy and fun to make, kids are welcome to help!
They have such a fun bright center that comes with the blueberries. I used white sugar for these cupcakes because coconut sugar naturally turns the cake portion a darker hue, I wanted the blueberries to really pop with color.
Ingredients For Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes.
Blueberries. Fresh or frozen will work.
Fresh lemon. You will need to zest the lemon first then we will use it's juice as well.
Oil. Any neutral oil will work. Coconut, olive oil or canola.
Sugar. You can use any white, coconut or raw. I prefer white in this one so you can see the contrast of the blueberries.
Flour. I have not made these with almond flour or any other flour, however I think AP gluten-free flour will substitute best.
How To Make These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes.
Step 1. Set oven to 375. Be sure to line the muffin tin with cup papers.
Step 2. in a large bowl mix oil and sugar together with a hand mixer untill it's light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and beat. Add lemon juice,zest, vanilla extract. *almond milk will be added after or during flour mixin.
Step 3. In a seperate bowl, add flour, salt, baking powder together with a whisk. Slowly add this to the sugar mixture, followed by the almond milk, you can also alternate to make the mixing easier. Once it is mixed together well, add bluberries in and mix with a spatula
Step 4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Do not over fill!
FAQs & Expert Tips.
Yes! Vegan butter or regular butter is a perfect substitute for the coconut oil.
Yes, they will work just fine. They may create more color than fresh blueberries as well as they tend to bleed a little more.
Yes! However your cupcakes will look slightly different than mine pictured here.
My tip here is to adda little vegetable shortening to the mix. Just a few tbsp added in with your vegan butter will help thicken up your frosting and get it more fluffy. You can also add extra sugar to fluff it up more as well.
You will want to wait until these cupcakes are completely cooled before icing them, otherwise you will end up with a melty mess! I suggest you take them out and place on a wire rack to cool quicker (no one likes waiting too long for dessert;)
If you make these, be sure to post about it and tag me on Instagram @sailor_bailey and use #SailorBailey so I can see your creations! I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!
Easy Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup softened coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 tsp of lemon extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese or vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- 3 cup powdered sugar *
- Set oven to 375. Be sure to line the muffin tin with cup papers.
- in a large bowl mix oil and sugar together with a hand mixer untill it's light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and beat. Add lemon juice,zest, vanilla extract. *almond milk will be added after or during flour mixin.
- In a seperate bowl, add flour, salt, baking powder together with a whisk. Slowly add this to the sugar mixture, followed by the almond milk, you can also alternate to make the mixing easier. Once it is mixed together well, add bluberries in and mix with a spatula
- Divide the mixture into the muffin cups evenly * do not overfill. You may need to bake 2 batches. Bake for 12 to 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack before making frosting. Or enjoy them without frosting and as a muffin.
Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Add all the cold refridgetated ingredients into a bowl, do not bring to room temp unless using stick butter.Mix will with a hand mixer for quite some time. Add more powdered sugar by the cup full until desired consistancy. Use a frosting pipe to frost once they are cooled or add a dollop with a spoon ** Read notes for other options to thicken frosting** Keep leftovers refridgetated since vegan butter melts a little easier than dairy butter.