Veggie stuffed shells with creamy baked feta. A decadent, easy, hearty dinner perfect for the entire family to enjoy. Don't skip this one!
Growing up my mom made the best stuffed shells. I crave them all the time. Naturally I had to recreate her recipe in my own way with flavors I enjoy. I ditched the ricotta and use feta and brussel sprouts to really elevate this meal. Trust me you will LOVE this recipe. My mouth is watering just typing this out.
Why Make Veggie Stuffed Shells
These veggie stuffed shells are not your average recipe. They are WAY better than all the other recipes out there. We don't use mild ricotta. Instead we use baked feta! This recipe had chopped brussel sprouts, spinach and garlic baked in with the feta giving it an amazing texture and full garlic notes of happiness. This recipe is as usual, fool proof. AKA anyone can do this, it's pretty hard to mess it up. You can also make this recipe totally plant based by using vegan feta! The substitutes are great.
Jumbo Shells. Perfect vessels for hold the cheesy stuffing.
Feta. I go for the 100% sheep's milk feta. You may also use vegan feta if making plant based.
Red Sauce. I like to get a veggie loaded pasta sauce.
Brussel sprouts. Raw. Chopped.
Baby Spinach. Raw.
Olive oil. A high quality neutral flavored oil.
Seasonings. Garlic Powder, salt, pepper, thyme.
Tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes will work best.
How To Make this Recipe
Step one. Start to cook shells. In a 5 qt oven safe braiser or 12 inch cast iron skillet, add olive oil to the entire pan. Place feta in the middle and sprinkle garlic, seasonings, brussel sprouts tomatoes, spinach all around the feta. Add remaining oil over the top and bake in oven for about 20 minutes. Oven details are in recipe card below.
Step two. Mix the baked feta dish together once it is all softened and cooked.
Step three. Transfer The feta mixture to a bowl. wipe down or clean the skillet or braiser or use a 9x9 baking dish. In the same cast iron skillet or braiser, place about 2 tbsp of the red sauce.
Step four. Carefully stuff the shells and place in an orderly fashion in the baking dish. Cover with sauce and bake for another 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling. Let it cool and serve!
Tips For Veggie Stuffed Shells
Don't overstuff your shells. We want them to cook evenly so be sure to stuff with equal amounts of baked feta.
Make this dish vegan by using plant based feta.
Cook the jumbo shells to al dente so they don't fall apart while stuffing!
This meal makes a great meal prep meal, you can store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze in and airtight container for up to 3 months!
Other Recipes To Try
Veggie Stuffed Shells With Baked Feta
- 1½ cup Feta *
- 2 cups chopped brussel sprouts 1 pound
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 24 oz jar of pasta sauce *
- 28 jumbo shells cooked according to package
- Begin cooking Jumbo shells according to package.Preheat oven to 350º In a 5 qt oven safe braiser or 12 inch cast iron skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the entire pan. Place feta in the middle and sprinkle chopped garlic, seasonings, brussel sprouts tomatoes, spinach all around the feta. Add remaining olive oil over the top of the veggies and bake in oven, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Check at 20 minutes with a spoon, if feta is soft and melted it is done. You may need an extra 10 minutes depending on the oven. Mix the baked feta dish together immediately once it is all softened and cooked.
- Transfer The feta mixture to a bowl. Wipe down or clean the skillet or braiser you used to bake the feta or use a 9x9 baking dish . In the same cast iron skillet or braiser, place about 2 tbsp of the red sauce.
- Carefully stuff the shells with equal amounts of baked feta, about 1 1/2 tbsp in each shell and place in an orderly fashion around in a circle in the dish if using the cast iron or braiser. Continue to go in circles until they meet in the middle. You will have extra shells left over, we made extra incase some break in the cooking process. If using a 9x9 you will need to overlap your shells a bit. Cover with sauce and bake for another 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling. Let it cool for a few minutes and serve! option to top with parmesan.