Vegan, gluten-free, chewy peanut butter cookies with optional chocolate peanut butter cups added in. They are ready in 20 minutes and your whole family will love these cookies.
Why Make This Recipe.
This peanut butter cookie recipe is vegan! There are no eggs or animal products in this cookie recipe.
They are easy to make. Anyone can make these as it's very easy therefore it's perfect for kids to help with!
Minimal ingredients. This recipe calls for minimal ingredients and you will most likely have everything in your pantry to make these.
Gluten Free! These vegan peanut butter cookies are totally gluten free so they make a great treat for anyone with allergies.
They only take 20 minutes or less. They cook for only 10 - 12 minutes so you can have a great treat ready for the family or guests within 20 minutes.
Almond Flour. It has extra protein, it's gluten-free and it gives the cookies an extra nutty flavor.
Almond Milk. This helps with moisture in the cookies. You can use vanilla almond milk for more flavor but I prefer unsweetened.
Peanut Butter. I always opt for chunky because I love the texture. I typically buy Adams because it's reasonable and come in large family size jars. You may use creamy and any peanut or almond butter of choice for this recipe!
Sugar. Coconut sugar or white sugar will work perfectly for this recipe.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cups. This is totally optional. I love to add them in if I want to make an extra special cookie for birthdays or special occasions but you can leave them out and still have a wonderful peanut butter cookie!
Baking Soda. This helps bind the cookies a bit and gives them a nice fluffy texture. You can leave the baking soda out if you want a really dense fudge cookie. I learned this by mistake by forgetting the baking soda and the vegan peanut butter cookies came out wonderful.
How To Make This Recipe.
Step 1: Combine the peanut butter, almond milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix with a spoon.
Step 2: Add the sugar to the wet mix (peanut butter, milk, vanilla). Stir will with spoon - it will be thick.
Step 3: In another bowl whisk together almond flour, baking soda, salt. slowly add that to the peanut butter sugar mix. You may need to use your hands to mix this up otherwise I suggest a spoon and a little patience. The mixture will be super thick.
Step 4: Use a scooper to scoop small equal size balls onto a cookie sheet. Place fork marks in the cookies for the classic peanut butter look.
Step 5: If using peanut butter cups, push them into the cookies gently. You make need to form the cookie a little bit around the cup but just be sure to seal any big cracks with your hands!
FAQs and Expert Tips.
Yes, Almond butter is a great substitute for this recipe.
No! The peanut butter cups are 100% optional. Both versions of this cookie are delicious.
Yes! Oat milk, coconut milk (drinking milk not the can) and soy will all work for this recipe.
If you want a classic fudgey peanut butter you can skip the baking soda. Just cook the cookies for only 9 minutes and be sure to let them completely cool and set before touching!
These cookies are vegan and gluten free and they are also very delicate when they first come out of the oven. Be sure to let them set before moving to a cooling rack. They take some time to form together. Once they are fully cooled they will stay together perfectly. Do not over cook them! They will stick together I promise.
If you make these, be sure to post about it and tag me on Instagram @sailor_bailey and use #SailorBailey so I can see your creations! I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my eMail list, too!
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1¼ cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup Natural peanut butter
- ¾ cup sugar coconut or white sugar!
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Almond milk
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda *Optional!
- 14 mini peanut butter cups *Optional!
- Set oven to 350
- Combine the peanut butter, almond milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix with a spoon. Add the sugar to the wet mix (peanut butter, milk, vanilla). Stir will with spoon - it will be thick.
- In another bowl whisk together almond flour, baking soda, salt. slowly add that to the peanut butter sugar mix. You may need to use your hands to mix this up otherwise I suggest a spoon and a little patience. The mixture will be super thick.
- Use a scooper to scoop small equal size balls onto a cookie sheet. If using peanut butter cups, push them into the cookies gently. You make need to form the cookie a little bit around the cup but just be sure to seal any big cracks with your hands!
- Bake for 9 - 12 minutes. Less time will make them chewier. Be sure to let them cool completely before moving or touching! The dough needs to set and cool.