This Easy Sweet Potato Broccoli Breakfast Hash is easy, customizable and full of flavor. You can top it with eggs or leave it vegan.
I have been making this hash for breakfast for years, I still have yet to get tired of it.
This recipe is great on the weekends but even better for those busy workweeks. You can heat up the combo in the microwave and add a hardboiled egg afterwards while you are at the office.
You can also add extra protein by sautéing some chicken apple sausages. The sweet potato really brings out the apple flavor in the sausages and it makes this meal a total powerhouse of nutrients.
How to perfect your sweet potatoes
I like to lightly microwave my sweet potatoes before I bake, air fry or sauté them. Microwaving them a bit will take some of the moisture out so they get a little more crispy on the outside. It will also speed up the process so you aren't eating raw potatoes with overcooked veggies.
I suggest buying organic sweet potatoes and leaving the skin on them. The skin has some of the most dense nutrients and if it's organic you will feel a lot more safe to eat the skin. Should you still decide to take the skin off - peel the potatoes. My recipe leaves the skin on.
My favorite spices for Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash are always salt, chipotle powder, garlic powder and paprika. I change my seasoning and spices often on my mixes but this is my most used combination with all of my Sweet potato recipes like my Coconut Bread which is a little more work with some more veggies and cheese but equally as delicious.
Vegan Sweet Potato Hash With Broccoli
- 1 medium - large sweet potato (microwaved on the potato setting)
- 1 large floret of broccoli chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp sea salt ( salt to taste)
- Microwave potato on the potato setting or for 4 minutes just to soften and take some moisture out. Cube into bit sized pieces
- Chop broccoli into similar sized pieces, keep the stems! They have the most nutrients.
- Place oil in pan and heat on medium heat. Add veggies and seasoning to the pan and mix well. Let the veggies steam and sauté for about 15 minutes. Cover for softer and quicker results. Cook egg or other toppings while the veggies are softening. Top with fresh herbs and eggs or sausage.
Do you have any questions?
Q: I don't like broccoli can I make this without it? A: Yep! It is just as tasty. You may need to cut the seasonings a little bit.
Q: How long will this keep for meal prep? A: 5 days!
Q: How can I make this last all week? A: Make a double batch. Double up on everything in the above recipe.
Really appreciate this recipe!! I made it MANY times especially at the beginning of the COVID pandemic shutdowns 2 years ago, and I was trying to eat healthy but tasty breakfast. This was my favorite hash recipe. I just came across it again and wanted to say thanks!
Hi Heather. I’m so thrilled to hear this and happy to know it helped you get some healthy eats in. Thanks so much for the comment and review!