This quick bread is 100% plant based, dairy free, and full of nutrient dense sweet potatoes
I’ve had a few sweet potatoes laying around and felt like doing something fun with them vs the usual spicy fries I make. I decided to try baking with them and had quite the sweet tooth. I have been seeing a lot of zucchini bread going around on the gram and wanted to try and create a yummy sweet-ish sweet potato bread.
I picked up some Silk® Cashew Milk from my local Sprouts Farmers Market and decided to add the creamy, nutty, milk to the recipe. If you haven’t had Silk cashew milk, I highly suggest you give it a try. It has a much more buttery taste than almond milk and it’s slightly thicker too.
Baking with chia seed eggs can be tricky! Make sure you read my tips below!
How to make chia eggs
You will want to make the chia eggs before you start mixing all the ingredients because it takes up to 10 minutes for the chia to absorb the water and turn into a gel consistency that will hold this bread together like eggs would.
The best part about not using any eggs is you can undercook this bread a little if you like the softer consistency and you won't overcook it should you decide to heat it up in a toaster oven (it's extra delicious this way!)
Make sure you are using fresh chia, sometimes chia can loose the omega3 oils naturally found in them and this will cause an inconsistent texture where you may need a little more chia than instructed to form a gel. Just be patient with this process!
I personally like to undercook this bread a bit because it makes it extra delicious when you cook it up in a toaster oven the next day.
You can top this bread with any nut butter of choice, or a little butter. I prefer almond butter or cashew butter to give it the extra creaminess.
Vegan Sweet Potato Bread
- bread loaf ( I used 9x5 loaf pan)
For the chia seed eggs
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp water
For the Bread
- 1¾ cup All purpose flour (all purpose GF will work)
- ½ cup melted cocont oil
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato use potato setting on mircrowave
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1½ cup coconut sugar (or white sugar)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg * optional
- ⅓ cup plant based milk
- ½ cup pecans * optional
For the chia egg
- set oven to 375
- Combine the sugar and oil together with a hand mixer, mix well! Add in flour, baking soda, spices (mix these together well before adding to wet mix) add in chia egg, plant based milk, sweet potato and nuts (if you choose to use nuts)
- Pour batter into a bread loaf pan ( I used a 9x5) Bake for 30 to 45 minutes depending on over times may vary so be sure to keep an eye on it after 30 minutes and check with a toothpick.
- whisk together chia and water, set aside for 10 to 15 minutes while you mix all other ingredients. Chia seeds should form a gel like consistency