Up your veggie intake this week with these filling mushroom and sweet potato tacos. They are full of flavor, easy to make and something your whole family will love.
I don’t know about you, but I could go for tacos any night of the week. I never get tired of them because there are so many different varieties of them. Taco shops have become such a huge trend with the restaurant industry. With that being said, you can easily spend a lot of money eating tacos out around town. Whenever I go out I find myself ordering mostly vegetarian combos because they are so interesting and full of flavor. Well I got tired of paying $6 for a plant based taco and decided to start making my own combinations!
Elevate your veggie tacos
Weather you use mushrooms, sweet potatoes, cauliflower or other veggies there is a limitless amount of options out there. My favorite combo happens to be mushroom and sweet potato, however, I do love cauliflower tacos as well. Check out my recipe for Roasted Cauliflower Tacos With Smokey Garlic Sauce .
No matter what the taco is, one of the most important pieces to getting a flavorful taco is the sauce. These mushroom and sweet potato tacos really come together with the cilantro garlic tahini.
Toppings are the ‘jazz’ on the taco. They make the taco even more rememberable. I typically go for fresh herbs for my homemade tacos. Cilantro is my main herb topping but, if you aren’t a big cilantro fan you can also do parsley to give it a nice green garnish. I always like a slice of avocado on my tacos as well. I often times skip the cheese and get some avocado instead to add some creaminess (especially if the tacos are spicy!)
If you are interested, some chopped onions or chopped tomatoes would also go great with these tacos!
What you will need for this recipe
- Fresh mushrooms, any mushroom will do. I used button mushrooms
- 1 small-medium sweet potato
- Tahini. I like this brand the best
- Fresh cilantro
- Small flour tortillas. Use corn if you are GF or prefer them.
Mushroom and Sweet Potato Tacos With Cilantro Garlic Tahini
For the tacos
- 1 8 oz package of mushrooms
- 1 sweet potato
- ⅛ tsp chili powder and garlic powder
- 7 small tortillas
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 tbs olive oil
Cilantro Garlic Tahini
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup tahini stirred well This is the brand I prefer
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ cup of water keep on the side and use this to thin the sauce. You may need more depending on your tahini brand. Tahini can be temperamental with water- but add a little at a time and it will become the perfect consistency!
- 1 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp chipotle powder
For the tacos
- Make the sauce first (below) Cube up sweet potato with a sharp knife. *option to cook sweet potato in the microwave on the potato setting to speed up sautéed process** I leave the skin on my sweet potato if it's organic. If it's not, peel the skin off.
- Place oil in skillet heat up and add potato cubes. Sauté for about 10 minutes, add in mushrooms and continue to sauté until potatoes are softened with mushrooms, about 5 minutes. Add in seasonings. Place to the side.
For the cilantro garlic sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a vitamix or other household mixer KEEP WATER TO THE SIDE. Add water in slowly to thin the mixture out so it's spreadable likes sauce. You may need less or more than the recipe calls for. add little amounts, stir well … then add more if needed. At first it will clump together and get dry, but as you add little amounts it will thin.