This kale salad is packed with flavors and can be ready in about 15 minutes for you and the family to enjoy.
Big salads are one of my favorite things to whip up when I have friends come over for a lunch date. They are so easy to make, you can pack flavor in them and they are easily customizable for those with allergies or picky eaters. I always love roasted veggies on my salad. Check out my Arugula Salad With Maple Garlic Dressing for more salad ideas.
How to make Massaged Kale
Massaged kale is truly the only way to have kale. It softens up the hard texture and makes it more enjoyable to eat. Massaging kale is exactly what it sounds like – you massage the kale with your hands to soften it up. You are going to drizzle some olive oil over chopped kale in a bowl and about 1 tbs of lemon juice and then you rub the kale between your fingers like you would if giving a massage!
What you will need for this recipe
- Olive oil
- Tahini. I prefer this brand here
- Honey for the dressing
- Miso for the dressing. You will find a lot of great miso dressings on my blog so it’s worth buying yourself a bottle. It elevates flavors in a big way and it’s one of my favorite secret ingredients.
- 1 bunch of kale de stemmed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- Fresh lemon juice
- Veggies. I choose carrots, broccoli and sweet potato for this particular salad. You can customize this recipe and use what you like best or whatever you have on hand as far as veggies go for roasting.
- seasonings for your roasted veggies
Healthy Vegan Kale Salad With Creamy Garlic Honey Dressing
For the salad
- 4 cups raw kale chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oilive oil (separted)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ cup peel carrots chopped
- ½ cup cubed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup chopped broccoli
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 sliced avocado for topping
Garlic honey dressing
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- ½ tsp miso
- ½ tsp honey
- 5 tbs warm water separated refill as needed to thin tahini
- Place chopped veggies on parchment paper or silicone mat. Drizzle olive oil over veggies, season with a pinch of salt, garlic, paprika and bake on broil [high] for about 7-10 minutes. Be sure to check on them and flip once
- Start boiling eggs before doing the salad and dressing. boil for about 7 to 8 minutes snack in an ice bath after and peel carefully to get consistency shown in photo.
- In a large bowl add kale and drizzle olive oil lemon juice over it. Massage with hands until all of the kale is softened and equally covered. Next start the dressing, but check the veggies in the oven before doing so.
Garlic honey dressing
- Add all of the dressings ingredients in a small blender. You can also mix by hand in a jar. If you do this then mince the garlic clove. Slowly add in warm water 1 tbs at a time to get desired constancy. I like to thin my dressing a little and have it cover all the ingredients. Top salad with hard boil egg, roasted veggies, avocado and any fresh herbs
Q: Can I use a different lettuce? A: yes! If you prefer romaine or mixed greens both would work well. Just skip the massaging part
Q: Can I use different vegetables? A: yes! You can use anything you have on hand. Freezer veggies will work great being roasted. Brussels sprouts would be a great addition to this salad
Q: I have an egg allergy. What other proteins can I use to top this salad? A: Tofu, chicken, salmon or shrimp would be a fantastic protein topper for this salad. The kale texture hold of great with meats.