This sauce is hearty, easy to whip up and full of veggies making it nutrient dense. Even your picky eaters will love this chunky flavorful pasta sauce.
I love a good hearty meat sauce. I always tried to add as many veggies as possible to the sauce so that it is more filling and more nutrient dense. You can chop the veggies up fine if you have some picky eaters at home!
What you will need
- 1 -2 Zucchinis chopped into fourths
- Mushrooms. I usually buy an 8 oz package of sliced button mushrooms.
- onion. I used 1/2 of a medium yellow onion. Any onion will work for flavor.
- Garlic. one close of minced garlic.
- Pasta. You can use any shape you prefer. I had a lot of farfalla on hand this time, and it’s a favorite for me. Penne, rigatoni or even spaghetti noodles will work.
- Ground turkey or beef. You can easily make this vegan by skipping the meat. I have also use chicken sausage in this recipe and it is delicious.
- Tomato sauce. If you want to make your own, use my Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce If you aren’t in the mood to make your own than grab a jar of your favorite sauce.
- Fresh Spinach. Adding some greens to the sauce for more iron and magnesium. This is totally optional.
- Seasonings. You will need Italian seasonings, oregano, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, paprika.
- Olive oil. I love to drizzle a little olive oil over my sauced pasta before digging in.
Pro Tip: always add veggies into your sauces
Adding veggies into your sauces, especially red sauce is a great way to incorporate more nutrition into your diet. When you add things like spinach, zucchini and mushrooms to your sauces it’s easier to hid from picky eaters. You can chop the veggies into smaller bites so they are more hidden in the sauce. I prefer them chunky because I love the texture they add.
When you add the veggies you need much less meat and you can spread this meal out quite a bit more. When I use this recipe as a meal prep meal, I will add an extra zucchini or another pack of mushrooms towards the end of the batch to spread it out for another day. I keep the sauce in the sauce pan in the fridge and pull it our and reheat on the oven separately from the noodles. You can certainly separate it into portioned containers if that suits you better. This recipe will keep for 8 days in the fridge.
Easy Bolognese Sauce
- sauce pan
- 1 package of cooked pasta (4 cups cooked)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
- 2 chopped zuchinnis
- 1 8 oz package of mushrooms
- 1 jar pasta sauce or make your own! Here is the recipe
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 cup fresh spinach (optional!)
- Prep veggies by chopping up into bit sizes pieces. Add ground meat to large sauce pan. Cook and chop up with wooden spoon. Add in chopped veggies once meat starts to brown. Follow it by adding all the seasonings and sauce, be sure to crush dried seasoning between fingers to wake up the herbs a bit. Let this simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package while sauve is simmering on low. Once pasta is finished, divide onto plates and add the meaty bolognese sauce! Enjoy.