This dairy free french toast is the perfect Sunday breakfast. This french toast is fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
I grew up having french toast on special occasions or on a Sunday morning with a side of eggs and bacon. My mom has been the best french toast, no matter who makes it for me my mom’s will always be my favorite. She taught me her tricks and I am not here to share them with you!
Tips for the perfect french toast
- eggs – eggs are what gives the bread all the fluff in the middle! if you are vegan you a use a flax egg. However, the bread won’t get quite as fluffy.
- stale bread – stale bread tends to soak up more of the egg/milk wash which creates a fluffier french toast. Sandwich bread is a favorite of mine but, stale french bread will really kick this up a notch.
- Toppings – I live for toppings on everything. I think adding fresh fruit and nuts to french toast will help curb the maple syrup use so I always advise fresh fruit on pancakes or french toast!
- Patience – yes patience. you need to cook the bread in a pan or skillet on medium/low heat. That means you have to have patience to let the egg wash cook through without flipping too much. Patience will help create more fluff on the onside and crispiness on the outside.
What you will need for this recipe
- Bread – as mentioned before
- Almond or coconut milk. I go for the unscented milks and add a little stevia to my egg wash instead however, this is entirely up to you!
- 1 egg
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
If you like this recipe you should try my Superfood Pancakes!
Ingredients (serves 2)
4 pieces of stale bread
1/2 cup plant based milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Optional * 3 drops of liquid stevia
- heat oil in a pan on low/medium heat
- blend all the wet ingredients and cinnamon in a bowl with a whisk or fork. Dunk bread in carefully trying not to break the bread into pieces. Be sure to cover bread entirely.
- Lay bread flat on skinny or pan with heated oil. cook for about 7 minutes before flipping and cooking the other side entirely. Serve warm and top with fresh fruit and syrup.