Move over chicken, crispy baked buffalo cauliflower is the new healthy appetizer for game day, sorry to say it but it’s true. This recipe is made with only a handful of ingredients, adding these wings to your next football party is key to impressing your guests.
Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower is so good you may never want buffalo wings again (call me crazy but I am going there!) They take about 5 minutes to prep and 15 – 20 to cook so they are super easy. If you don’t like buffalo sauce you can skip it and toss the crispy baked cauliflower in ranch, bbq whatever you like.
Crispy baked buffalo cauliflower is a great alternative for plant-based diets, vegans or someone who is wanting to add more veggies to their diet. The cauliflower has a great consistency and if you use the right buffalo sauce, an even better bite to them!
How to pick the best buffalo sauce:
There is a plethora of sauces on the shelves these days. I have a few go to brands that never fail me on the flavor factor. One brand that is sold nation wide is Franks Red Hot. This brand is used on most buffalo items at restaurants. However, when you make it at home you can leave all the butter out of the mix and cut back on the calories.
When I am looking on the shelves at all of the buffalo sauces, I look at the ingredients. I tend to grab the brands that are dairy free and have less ingredients. Be sure to read your labels! For example, some products have milk in them, making the recipe vegetarian and not vegan. Be sure to grab sauces that are vegan!
If you don’t like spicy flavors:
If you don’t like the spicy flavor of buffalo hot sauce I strongly suggest grabbing your favorite barbecue sauce and tossing them in that instead! Just like regular chicken wings, these baked buffalo cauliflower bites have no limits for sauce combinations!
I will be the first to admit that I can polish off an entire batch of this crispy baked buffalo cauliflower. If you are entertaining a large part I recommend doubling up on the ingredients and making two batches.
Let’s make these cauliflower wings!
- You will want to chop up the head of cauliflower into bite sized pieces. However, if the pieces are too small, the batter won’t stick. If they are too large the batter will fall off when you bite into them.
- Make sure your batter is the perfect consistency. This is important for the crispy factor of the “wings”.
- Be sure to use plenty of sauce. For example, the baked cauliflower will soak up a bit of sauce, you may want a small amount of reserves ready since cauliflower head sizes can vary.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower washed and cut up into bit size pieces
- 1 C water
- 1 C brown rice flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of Onion powder and Garlic powder (or more if desired)
- parchment paper – to cover baking sheet
- buffalo hot sauce (or ranch, bbq, any sauce of your choice)
- Set oven to 400 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, combine water, flour, garlic + onion powder (whisk with a fork to get all the chunks out)
- Dip cauliflower into mixture and coat evenly
- Place cauliflower on parchment paper (on a baking sheet)
- Bake for 15 min and flip over cook for another 5 minutes or until desired crunch and browning occurs
- let them cool slightly and coat them with sauce… now enjoy the heck out of it.