This was my first time ever having anything like creole. I had 2 pounds of shrimp in my freezer so I went for it because I wanted to try something new and I had all the ingredient in my fridge/cabinets! If you aren’t a shrimp eater, or you’re on a budget chicken breast would work great in place of the shrimp.
Heres what I did …
- 3 tbl olive oil
- 1/2 of a lemon fresh squeezed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs or seafood seasoning, I used Primal Palates seafood seasoning (if not available try finding a creole seasoning) ** this is not a deal breaker
- 1 large chopped onion
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of hot sauce
- 1 – 28 oz can of whole tomatoes (usually pureed in the can)
- 2 cups of seafood stock (use chicken broth if you cant find it at your local store)
- salt to taste
- 2 pounds of shrimp * I left my shells on for flavor but you can unshell (or boneless skinless chicken breast)
In a large pot heat the oil and add garlic, onion, celery and peppers. Once they soften up stir in spices (**if using chicken** add cubed chicken breast here and begin to brown it). Add all the liquid ingredients next, season with salt and pepper. Let sauce simmer for at least 30 min. Add the shrimp and cook for about 5 min longer until they are cooked through.
Serve over brown rice and enjoy!