This 20 minute southwest pasta is packed with flavors, it is dairy free and can be made plant based. You can whip it up easily, it's full of veggies and keeps for a few days in the fridge.
Do you have 15 minutes to make a healthy lunch, dinner or side?Jump to Recipe
I love the flavors of chipotle and paprika so putting together this southwest pasta was a no brainer. Recently when I am looking around on Pinterest or Instagram for inspiration I have been drawn to southwestern or mexican flavors. I adapted this recipe from Onebalancedlife.com . I used my own spices, measurements and made a new sauce for it. This southwestern sauce is 100% dairy free!
What you will need for this recipe
Pasta. Boxed pasta is always good to have on hand. I used some plant pasta for this recipe. You can find some chickpea pasta here it holds up great, and it is gluten free and made with veggies!
Canned Beans. This recipe calls for one can of black beans. You may use any beans you have on had, but the black beans pair best!
Frozen corn. You will be cooking the corn prior however the corn give it a nice crunch.
Canned Tomatoes. I used fire roasted canned tomatoes. If you only have regular chopped canned tomatoes, adde some extra seasoning to them to help with the flavor. Garlic powder, onion powder and salt should do the trick.
Jalapeños. This is optional but they really give the pasta a kick
Tahini. This is the main ingredient for this recipe and very important to have on hand! This is the brand I always use. Tahini gives it that creamy flavor.
Spices. You will need some spices to jazz this recipe up. I use Garlic, onion powder, chipotle, paprika, salt and few others.
The Sauce for this recipe is dairy free and delicious!
You can put this sauce over any pasta dish for a huge flavor punch! The main component in the sauce is tahini, a sesame seed butter. It has a very light nutty flavor that can be mixed into sweet or savory dishes. You can add seasonings to the tahini and easily manipulate the flavor. If you are looking for other tahini ideas try my Miso Tahini or my Tahini cookies
15 Minute Vegan Southwestern Pasta
- Serving Bowl
- 1 Box Pasta any pasta will do but the chickpea pasta takes less time to cook so cooking times will vary!
- 1 Cup Cooked corn
- 1 15 oz Can Black beans
- 1 15 ox Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 tbs Chopped Jalapeno
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (red onion tastes best)
Creamy Southwestern Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- 1/4 C Hot Water Add into blender slowly. This is to thin out the tahini. Be patient it will thin out after a few additions of the water. Don't add it all at once, go slowly.
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Salt or add a pinch to taste
- 1/8 tsp Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the box. While it is cooking, make the Southwestern Sauce.
- Cook frozen corn, drain and rinse beans. add any spices into the tomatoes if preferred
- In a small blender add all the ingredients EXCEPT WATER. Pour water in 1/2 amout at a time. Tahini brands very and some need more or less to thin. Be patient with this process it will eventually thin!
- Once pasta is cooked, drain water and add to a serving bowl. Add in all the above ingredients and jalapenos. Gently toss with spoons to help coat the pasta evenly. Serve room tempurature or cold.