I have been lemon crazy lately – it happens every spring. I was trying to think of a side to have with bbq chicken and I had a big bag of a arborio rice lying around so I hit pintrest for some inspiration and decided to make some vegan lemon risotto – and I am also thinking I will be making this for a side on Easter too!
- 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice
- 1 pound of chopped asparagus
- 1 cup of raw peas (uncooked)
- 2 broccoli florets chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons of avocado or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 C of diced leeks
- 1 tbs of chopped garlic
- 5 tbs of began butter (or regular butter if not dairy free/vegan)
- 3 tbs of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 4 cups of veggie broth
- chopped chives (I did the entire bunch that I bought)
- 1 chopped jalepeno (unseeded)
- salt and pepper to taste
- I made my rice in an instant pot which took about 7 minutes (I would look up instructions of you aren’t familiar with the instant pot instructions) *** however if you don’t have an instant pot, follow the instructions for the rice on the packaging and cook it IN the veggie broth and butter on the stove with the yellow onion and chopped garlic, salt, pepper and jalepeno.
- While rice is coking, drizzle oil on chopped veggie (broccoli peas and asparagus) and roast in the oven at 450 for 10 – 15 minutes until everything has softened a bit
- Once rice is done mix in all the ingredients, adding the lemon juice, zest and chives last. Still well.
** This is great topped with grilled chicken, or can be made vegetarian or vegan if you add roasted chopped portobello mushroom to the dish for you “meat”. Its so creamy and delicious you wont even notice its dairy free!**